The Prisons Farms are mandated to train, rehabilitate and reform prisoners by imparting crop production and various farming skills to inmates which on release will enable them to transform into responsible law abiding citizens.
Crop production is practised on several of the Prisons farm units located all over the country;
A centre of excellence in providing human rights based correctional services in Africa.
To provide safe, secure, and humane custody of offenders while placing human rights at the centre of their correctional programmes.
- Justice as the core value.
- Fundamental to an effective Correctional and Justice System in a firm commitment to the belief that offenders are responsible for their own behaviour and have the potential to live as law-abiding citizens.
- The majority of offenders can be dealt with effectively in the community by means of non-custodial correctional programs; imprisonment should be used with restraint.
- In the interest of public protection, decisions about offenders must be based on informed risk assessment and risk management.
The Prisons Act, 2006 provides for the mandate and functions of a Uganda Prisons Service composed of Central and former Local Government Prisons and spells out the duties of the UPS as to protect, promote and fulfill the rights of those incarcerated.
Commissioner General of Prisons can. Dr. Johnson Omuhunde Rwashote Byabashaija
from 2005 ----- to date
General Haji Abubaker Jeje Odongo is a Ugandan senior military officer, politician and current Minister of Internal Affairs in the Cabinet of Uganda since 2016. Previously he served as Minister of State for Defence from February 2009 to June 2016.
1. Constitution Of The Prisons Land Board
i. Dr. George Muge CP/LHD Chairperson
ii. Mr. Victor Aioka ACP/HR Member
iii. Mr. Hillary Bisanga ACP/QM Member
iv. Mr. Apollo Baker Asinja ACP/PAC Member
v. Mr. James Cockers Okiror SSP/NTR Member
vi. Mr. Aggrey Aturwanirire SSP/PPU Member
vii. Ms. Aliyo Naatukunda SSP/LO Secretary
2. Mr. Felix Ayo, SP, Prisons Headquarters, is appointed Officer in Charge Networks at Prisons Headquarters.